Sunday, August 05, 2007

california day dreams

black rubber and stale bread behind me
fresh air and adventure ahead
i remember when
i first began
my trip to california

packed light, but still fit tight
estrogen high, drove day and night
on my trip to california

i had adventure on my mind
fancy streets filled with dancy people
fine arts and fashion hanging from the sky
new shoes and a glimmering sea
washing the old days away from me..

here i sit looking back to then
writings etched in concrete
words from the tongue
rarely fade away
and workaholic memories
never take a holiday

lacing up my salsa shoes
on feet of legs freshly shaven,
one step, new step, fresh step, more..
I work my way on out the door to..

..sip my cosmo, eat my nachos
and enjoy my conversation
questioning the experiences of the last 21 years
exploring possibilities of the next Two months...

...curiosity forms clouds indoors
comfort lies in satin sheets
two buck Chuck can hit the spot
hunger satisfied by sweets

a window to a starlit heaven
cradled by buildings as i dine
on coffee laced with caramel
and cheesecake smooth as wine
one sweet halted moment away from…

being lost in my black and red summer
morning to
midnight, seven to twelve
takin orders and stocking the shelve
clocked into work, yet gone…
thinking of jalepeno nights
and a challenging four in a row
watching the clock
and wondering how
heels turn classy to hoe

i need to stop
this search for meaning in sweetbread
why'm i somehow filled with fried rice at three
maybe not an expensive thing
but plenty enough for me
now…

here I sit looking back to then
wondering when
they'll count the quarters in my till
and realize that I fall short still
no matter how bright my bathroom gleams
there's cracks in the frame of
my
California day dreams

No comments: